Rules and Regulations

how aggressive do your dogs play

Discuss anything regarding the breed here that doesn't fit in other area's of the forum.

how aggressive do your dogs play

Postby fiberglass coffin » August 14th, 2012, 3:24 pm

my dogs play rough, normally theres always scratches and scars, they seem to enjoy it, never hear any yelp (they never ever fight) and when we're not home one of them is crated. So would you stop this behavior or just let it slide, they seem to get great excersise from it.
fiberglass coffin

Re: how aggressive do your dogs play

Postby PibChick » August 14th, 2012, 5:01 pm

I don't use a rough-o-meter to tell whether play is out of control. My rule is if I can't stop dogs from interacting with a verbal cue then I don't have control of the situation. Ideally I am able to stop chasing play that is outside with a single verbal cue (that is the pinnacle of difficult to interrupt). If I can't stop my dogs from casual play then I don't stand a chance of stopping them should things start to get heated. If you can interrupt your dogs from playing by calling their names or asking them so sit, then there is probably nothing wrong with it.
Spunky Dogs
PibChick

Postby BoldogKennel » August 14th, 2012, 6:57 pm

A LOT of it depends on their age. How old are they?
Ch Bandog Dread SchH III IPO III TD CD U-CDX WDS STDd/s WH
Boldog Dirk SchH III FR Brevet
Bandog Brittania SchH I WDS U-CD
Boldog Grip SchH I WDS
Boldog Grim SchH II
Boldog Old Yeller SchH I IPO I
Boldog Hellboy FH CD TD
Wicked Cassie, Ring III U-CDX
BoldogKennel

Postby fiberglass coffin » August 14th, 2012, 7:06 pm

my female is 1 (ambul/apbt) and my apbt is 2, she's bigger and dominates. They both stop when being called
fiberglass coffin

Postby rebinaldjames » August 15th, 2012, 1:01 am

things may change when they get older
but i have rules for mine and make them cool it when it gets too escalated , but thats my rules. they would get really rough if i dont step in and never would fight but i dont like them bullying each other if one doesnt look like they are enjoying it they take a break. most of the time they break on thier own. more noise the better it seems. its the quiet ones you have to be careful with. :evil:

also when dogs get tired they can be less tolerant .when one nips the other too hard you might have some bickering or a full blown fight. my dogs are close in age as well and in the same age bracket but my female is really good with other dogs and so far Rebel is below her.

when i fostered Shawty would play with another female they were a year apart they loved each other but could only play to a point they had to be watched closely sometimes they would bicker so the next step would be fight so i cut them off before anything bad happened they learned quickly what was allowed
rebinaldjames

Postby dickybird » August 15th, 2012, 4:34 am

Mine old girl is really vocal when she plays and sounds like she's killing the other dog. Lollipop and Jersey play really hard and usually have scabs from it. I can stop them all whe a verbal cue so I never worry.
dickybird

Postby BoldogKennel » August 15th, 2012, 5:57 pm

Things could change. You need to kinda think about what kind of play you allow. My dogs can wrestle around a little, and that's fine. But I wouldn't throw a ball between most of them.
Ch Bandog Dread SchH III IPO III TD CD U-CDX WDS STDd/s WH
Boldog Dirk SchH III FR Brevet
Bandog Brittania SchH I WDS U-CD
Boldog Grip SchH I WDS
Boldog Grim SchH II
Boldog Old Yeller SchH I IPO I
Boldog Hellboy FH CD TD
Wicked Cassie, Ring III U-CDX
BoldogKennel

Postby Howardpit1 » August 15th, 2012, 6:21 pm

They start out playing, but nine times out of ten, it turns into an all out fight. Which is why I personally don't allow my dogs to play together after about 4-6 months. I feel if you never let them get into it seriously and teach them to be around other dog, not play with other dogs, you are better off in the long run. IMO.
Howardpit1

Postby rebinaldjames » August 15th, 2012, 9:56 pm

Howardpit1 wrote:They start out playing, but nine times out of ten, it turns into an all out fight. Which is why I personally don't allow my dogs to play together after about 4-6 months. I feel if you never let them get into it seriously and teach them to be around other dog, not play with other dogs, you are better off in the long run. IMO.

I so agree! i onlylet my two play with each other , they have a relationship and live together but playing with other dogs outside thier pack NO WAY. Learning the hard was expensive :oops:
rebinaldjames

Postby cainenine » August 15th, 2012, 10:25 pm

I am pretty strict with my dogs I don't mind if they play a little but if it escalates I stop it and they're never allowed to play with toys together.
A friend and advocate, Evan
The High Road Is The Path Less Traveled
cainenine

Return to General discussions about Pit Bulls