Rules and Regulations

Slow to Mature?

Discuss anything regarding the breed here that doesn't fit in other area's of the forum.

Slow to Mature?

Postby iheartpitbull » June 7th, 2012, 9:28 pm

I have heard that some pit bulls/amstaffs are slow to mature, like they say about some GSD lines. I have one of those slow ones and it is a little confusing. I thought he was done at around 18 months but the last few weeks (21 months) seeing a whole other side to him and not sure what to make of it. I guess I never got mental picture of what "slow to mature" looks like and I never had one like that. Do the people who have seen this seen a sudden change in personality overnight (like around the house)? What did you notice? How did those changes translate into training? Just curious if anyone could lend some insight. What is the latest that you've seen for the slow dog like this to finally be mature? Does the fast dog have an advantage over the slow one? Thank you!

PS from Burke's story it sounds like there can be a slow one in a litter of fast ones! But the slow one is a good one in the end. 8-)
UNJ UAG1 URO1 UWPCH GRCH 'PR' BLUPRINTS BADGER CL1-F, CL1-R, CL1-H, TN-N, TG-N, CGC, TT
UNJ URO2 UWP GRCH BLUPRINTS LIFE OF THE PARTY ("RED") TD (ASCA) (BIMBS x 2)
iheartpitbull

Re: Slow to Mature?

Postby Tatonka » June 8th, 2012, 1:17 am

What is he doing?
Character is doing the right thing when nobody is looking.
Tatonka

Postby BoldogKennel » June 8th, 2012, 1:21 am

To be honest, the only "sorta" connection I've seen is that the bigger, heavier dogs *seem* somewhat slower to mature. By this I mean they are less agile than their smaller counterparts, less able to do "adult" things at a young age. For instance, an 8 month old GSD pup is usually just a big mess, sprawling and tripping. Yet a 40 pound 8 month old pit bull can seem very mature and able to do "adult type" activities easily.

Mentally, all dogs are different. However, I have noted some pretty significant changes around
a) 12 to 16 months
b) 3 years
c) 5 years

In the two latter age classes, this is more noticable in the males, neutered or not, and has to do with a certain "toughness" they develop. Also, the head can get a touch larger around 3 years. Just my observations. I, too, would like to know what your dog is doing.
Ch Bandog Dread SchH III IPO III TD CD U-CDX WDS STDd/s WH
Boldog Dirk SchH III FR Brevet
Bandog Brittania SchH I WDS U-CD
Boldog Grip SchH I WDS
Boldog Grim SchH II
Boldog Old Yeller SchH I IPO I
Boldog Hellboy FH CD TD
Wicked Cassie, Ring III U-CDX
BoldogKennel

Postby jollyrascals » June 8th, 2012, 5:39 am

My amstaffs matured all quite fast, I think, as the females all had with 6 months their season. My shepherd had it first right now, with allmost a year of age. I personally like to keep my dogs in the first year in minimal weight, so it is a huge change in the second year for sure. And they change a bit in the third year two, like bigger heads, broader chest...
Mentally it is another question, my Bella came with 6 months in the family, and never really acted like a puppy. She lived by my father for another 3 months, and as I got her, she already was an adult, mentally. Mazsa on the other side took about two years for this, and Bigyi is now 5, and she is now somewhat matured, would I say... not fully. I can not see this change at five years, but maybe it's because my females were already spayed at that age? What is changing at 5, in your opinion, Diane? Is that toughness general, or is towards other dogs, or people?
My shepherd is a very interesting case, as she is at home, with my gang and me really puppy-like and submissive. But it is another case at the training field, or with strange people and dogs, where she seems to be totally matured, and totally in charge.
jollyrascals

Postby iheartpitbull » June 8th, 2012, 2:50 pm

Thanks for the replies! When he was young he seemed broken. Almost lazy, not athletic at all. Made up for it with smarts and people focus. At about 9 months became athletic and saw a huge change in drive. For example he would tear out and back on retrieves instead of rambling, his position changes became snappy. The last few weeks he has become very vocal, demanding, pushy, almost cocky. Became visibly annoyed with me when I messed up his entrance to weave poles. Tracked last night and he was just different. More serious, really leaning into the harness, railroad turns, ignoring distractions. On fire in the conformation ring. Tail high, gaiting with a look at me air, wagging the whole time. He still physically looks puppyish, clearly not done there. The bad part is when I get home he yammers nonstop until I work him. And it has to be a lot of hard work, he won't accept swimming. no I dont have a quiet command yet I never needed one. Cu
UNJ UAG1 URO1 UWPCH GRCH 'PR' BLUPRINTS BADGER CL1-F, CL1-R, CL1-H, TN-N, TG-N, CGC, TT
iheartpitbull

Postby BoldogKennel » June 9th, 2012, 5:11 pm

Yup. He's becoming a "man". Read the story of Burkhalter!
Boldog Grip SchH I WDS
Boldog Grim SchH II
Boldog Hellboy FH CD TD
BoldogKennel

Postby iheartpitbull » June 9th, 2012, 11:35 pm

Well I sure hope that is what is going on! It would be awesome to have half the dog that Burkhalter is! He's a good dog now but I always wanted just a little more "oomph" so maybe it is one of those "be careful what you ask for" things. :)
iheartpitbull

Postby BoldogKennel » June 9th, 2012, 11:50 pm

It happens. I had a bitch (Mhorgana) who I have spoken of before who would NOT touch a ball nor springpole nor ANYTHING until one day when she was 11 months old - and she never looked back. Became one of my most intense ball and springpole dogs EVER.
Boldog Grip SchH I WDS
Boldog Grim SchH II
Boldog Hellboy FH CD TD
BoldogKennel

Return to General discussions about Pit Bulls