Rules and Regulations

Bloodlines & Pedigrees

Discuss anything regarding the breed here that doesn't fit in other area's of the forum.

Bloodlines & Pedigrees

Postby cainenine » April 13th, 2012, 8:37 pm

Alright calling all pedheads (erik I'm totally stealing your term :twisted: ) As I have stated I don't know a great deal about every bloodline or pedigree, I can't even hardly read a pedigree but I do love learning about the history of this breed and where better to start than the very bloodlines that created them. Now I am hoping this takes on a life of its own but the primary basis for this is just for folks to be able to ask about or even share different pedigrees of their own dogs or other dogs for that matter and get feed back from those who know about this stuff...like our own resident pedhead (so stolen) erik :mrgreen: hope you don't mind buddy.

My first question is whether anyone knows or has access to info on a bloodline called Turtlebuster, I heard of this line like more than ten years ago and probably the name alone got me intrigued but trying to find info on them is difficult, can anyone help?

Mostly I'm just curious about where this line decended from and what if any famous dogs came out of this line and what they accomplised, along with any additional info you might like to share.

Also, share some of your favorite historical/founding dogs and bloodlines, obviously I'm pretty partial to the Sorrell line :mrgreen: but I also love reading and learning about other great lines and dogs of our past.
A friend and advocate, Evan
The High Road Is The Path Less Traveled
cainenine

Re: Bloodlines & Pedigrees

Postby SideKick » April 13th, 2012, 9:08 pm

http://www.apbt.online-pedigrees.com/mo ... og_id=9976

Turtlebuster is fairly rare, and those who have it tend to keep it close. From what I've heard Turtlebuster had a freak mouth and that tends to run in the line but isn't produced consistently. That's about all I know bout that bloodline. Lol
I'm still too new to the dogs to say I have a fav bloodline plus I prefer to judge a dog and the breeder he came from rather then a bloodline. 3 ppl breeding the same blood can go in 3 diff directions.
I know of one person breeding Jocko/Redboy/eli dogs and really liking how those dogs are turning out. They've had the same blood for 15 yrs and have produce good quality dogs fairly consistently.
As for the sharing of my fav dogs that would take a long time :D I love alot of them. Though I guess my top few would have to be Andy Capp, Going Light Barney, Gr Ch Tornado, gr Ch Dendy and Nigerino
SideKick

Postby cainenine » April 13th, 2012, 9:15 pm

SideKick, may I say great post and thank you for some insight on Turtlebuster, maybe someone out there will have more to share...I hope :D

I also completely agree with you on the breeder issue, whole heartedly buuuut if all things were equal which bloodline would you desire? That is probably how I should have stated it :D

Would you mind sharing a little insight into those favorite dogs of yours? What do you like so much about them?
cainenine

Postby cainenine » April 13th, 2012, 9:16 pm

Also, if you are good at reading pedigrees, were you able to tell if any worth mentioning what bloodline Turtlebuster came down from?
cainenine

Postby SideKick » April 13th, 2012, 10:21 pm

I'm still a student at reading peds but what I see is that Turtlebuster was a kingfish/scatter-bred dog...

if I had to choose by bloodline alone I would have to go with Jeep/red boy simply for the fact that they tend to throw good ring dogs and don't do half bad on the wp track either.
As for the dogs I listed its a combination of loving how the dogs look themselves and their stories. Like Tornado she was just one bad gyp and one of the best looking females ever. Andy capp is just handsome and then the fact that he was a smart dog who beat the odds. I tend to like the old pit dogs who had smarts. Barney was also said to have been a very smart pit dog.
SideKick

Postby cainenine » April 13th, 2012, 10:23 pm

Very cool, thanks for sharing SideKick :)
cainenine

Postby Erik » April 14th, 2012, 5:53 am

Like Sidekick said Turtlebuster is known for good mouth. Most of that blood can be found in the Midwest, there are good dogs of this line in other places but I think the greatest concentration of this blood is in the great lakes region. Most of the good dogs from that line are down from his son Gaines' Fargo it has been most successfully crossed with Redboy dogs there has also been a few good ones crossed with Red Devil dogs which you will see is also in Turtlebusters pedigree. The Red Devil bloodline comes down from Corvino and OFRN bloodlines. The Sorrell dogs also have a fair share of Corvino and OFRN blood.

Here is a crossed up Turtlebuster dog I like
http://www.apbt.online-pedigrees.com/pu ... _id=277154

I like this bitch too
http://www.apbt.online-pedigrees.com/pu ... _id=104392
Erik

Postby cainenine » April 14th, 2012, 5:57 am

You rock dude! So I'm still waiting to know if any, what your favorite bloodline considering everything is equal in the breeding and do you have some favorite pit bulls from yore?
cainenine

Postby Erik » April 17th, 2012, 5:01 am

There isn't any one particular bloodline that I like better than another. My problem is that I like so many of them. Being a pedhead I'll go in phases of liking certain bloodlines. One thing that remains somewhat constant is that most of the dogs that I like are crossed up. The trap that most other pedheads fall into is breeding the tightest this or the tightest that without regard of what is lacking in their dogs. I'm not saying that crossbreeding is the way to go or that there are not good pure representatives of each line it's just that they are few and far between. The traditional bloodlines have been around long enough that I see a lot of inbred dogs that have pretty papers but look like crap. Having said that, right now I'm kinda in a Redboy groove, Redboy dogs tend to hold up pretty well when inbred and cross great to any and everything. I pretty much like Redboy crossed to most anything. I really like what I see out of Redboy Jocko Eli Carver when put all together into one. For example Tants yellow blood crossed with chinaman or Mayday X Chinaman. I like Gamblers Virgil blood crossed up. I like Redboy/Jocko crossed back to Redboy for example Waccamaw blood with tight Baileys Bingo Cherry blood. I like OFRN dogs, Rascal dogs etc etc. I mean I can go on for days about what bloodlines I like and why and which families within each bloodline. More important than bloodline is who bred them and why.
Erik

Postby Erik » April 17th, 2012, 5:41 am

Also what is more important to look at is the individual dogs rather than bloodlines because most bloodlines have several strains and each strain has families and individuals. Each individual will produce differently even when they can be litter mates. Each dog will carry and produce different traits even when certain traits are expressed in "said" dog he/she may not always produce like themselves.
Erik

Next

Return to General discussions about Pit Bulls