Rules and Regulations

Bone cancer

Discuss health issues, grooming, and parasite control here.

Re: Bone cancer

Postby dogged » May 8th, 2012, 12:05 pm

There is no easy decision in the situation, Jolly. My heart goes out to you and you have my prayers and support.
Christen

"If you are going to have a dog, first make it a good dog; second train it to be useful. It will give you a broader sympathy with the animal world, and that includes your fellow men." Harry J. Mooney
dogged

Postby Sagebrush » May 15th, 2012, 5:02 pm

I lost a dog to bone cancer -- or more accurately, the PAIN of bone cancer. It really is painful. Maybe look at/interpret her behavior knowing that.
My dog did not respond to medication for the pain.

Carla
Sagebrush

Postby jollyrascals » May 18th, 2012, 7:02 pm

Oh I'm sorry for your loss. She is responding to the medication, but I had to raise the dose just yesterday. She has a slight limp now, eats well, looks otherways happy... But I'm very carefull for signs now, and to be honest I'm affraid that it may get worse drastically, like in the middle of the night. I have to ask the vet about that.
And I desided for no other treatment, no radiation, no kemo, no operation. It would cost a huge amount I can not afford, and there would still be no guarantee for nothing...
jollyrascals

Postby jollyrascals » May 18th, 2012, 7:32 pm

That's her, she doesn't look ill at all... :cry:
jollyrascals

Postby cainenine » May 18th, 2012, 10:54 pm

I am sorry jolly :( sweet looking dog
A friend and advocate, Evan
The High Road Is The Path Less Traveled
cainenine

Postby turtle » May 28th, 2012, 1:10 am

I am so sorry to read this. It is the hardest thing of being a good owner, to know when to let them go. My old girl is limping badly too and she is only 10 yrs old so I dread the upcoming trip to the vet to see what's wrong.

I think if the pain meds are keeping her comfortable, that is good, and to take it day by day. I have been told to look at their quality of life. To write down a list of 10 or more things in life that your dog really enjoys, and then when they cannot do those anymore, then you have to make the choice. When they have more bad days than good days, and the happiness is gone from their eyes.

She is lovely, I hope you have some more time with her.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring, it was peace." - Milan Kundera
turtle

Postby Tatonka » May 28th, 2012, 1:57 am

turtle wrote: It is the hardest thing of being a good owner, to know when to let them go.

I agree with Turtle. So sorry for you and your friend.
Character is doing the right thing when nobody is looking.
Tatonka

Postby jollyrascals » May 30th, 2012, 4:17 pm

Thank you so much for all your kind words! We had some bad days, to be honest I even called the vet for put her to sleep but then he said he thinks it is not so bad yet. I was very much dissapointed about this, because we all know how it's gonna end, and it is really not fair to say something like "she is not suffering enough yet"... But now it is somehow better again, and I don't have any serious hopes, but she eats well again and has again only a light limp, so it was a good decision to wait. She gets CV247 besides the pain meds, and I started to give her coocked food intead the kibble, what she didn't wanted to eat. And I try to go over BARF feeding her step by step, maybe it helps too...
Turtle I hope there is nothing serious with your girl, fingers crossed for you both!
jollyrascals

Postby cainenine » May 30th, 2012, 10:43 pm

jollyrascals wrote:Thank you so much for all your kind words! We had some bad days, to be honest I even called the vet for put her to sleep but then he said he thinks it is not so bad yet. I was very much dissapointed about this, because we all know how it's gonna end, and it is really not fair to say something like "she is not suffering enough yet"... But now it is somehow better again, and I don't have any serious hopes, but she eats well again and has again only a light limp, so it was a good decision to wait. She gets CV247 besides the pain meds, and I started to give her coocked food intead the kibble, what she didn't wanted to eat. And I try to go over BARF feeding her step by step, maybe it helps too...
Turtle I hope there is nothing serious with your girl, fingers crossed for you both!

My thoughts are with you jolly
A friend and advocate, Evan
The High Road Is The Path Less Traveled
cainenine

Postby dickybird » June 1st, 2012, 3:58 am

Personally I would not do any kind of surgery on a 12 year old dog to try to extend their life for a few months. I would treat with pain meds and let them go when their quality of life wasn't there.

My friend did chemo on her SBT, but she was a young dog and yes she's lived another 6 years but now her immune system is compromised and as a senior is having all rots of problems.

Hugs to you, definitely not easy.
dickybird

PreviousNext

Return to General health issues