Rules and Regulations

LOSING MY MIND OVER WORMING!

Discuss health issues, grooming, and parasite control here.

LOSING MY MIND OVER WORMING!

Postby BoldogKennel » April 29th, 2012, 12:53 am

I'm not good at math. Never have been.

I've been using Safe-Guard (fenbendazole) to worm my dogs since God was in short pants. Here is what is driving me crazy, and maybe some of you ed-u-ma-kated folks can help me out. Or those with experience with the stuff... the dose for dogs is 1cc for 4.4 pounds at 100 mg/ml

But that's a LOT of wormer for a dog compared to the size of the horse container. Like, i would use the whole thing for only a few dogs. So, my package today says it is 100 mg/g. Not ml (cc).

I need to know since one is weight and one is volume, what do i do???!!! I have a feeling Butchie, Tuff, Freakie and Thing are going to be VERY wormed... Does anyone have any idea how many cc's I should give at the 1cc per 4.4 with the 100 mg/g.????

Thanks. PS: Don't worry about the dogs, this stuff is "fool" proof - that's why I use it, being a fool!
Ch Bandog Dread SchH III IPO III TD CD U-CDX WDS STDd/s WH
Boldog Dirk SchH III FR Brevet
Bandog Brittania SchH I WDS U-CD
Boldog Grip SchH I WDS
Boldog Grim SchH II
Boldog Old Yeller SchH I IPO I
Boldog Hellboy FH CD TD
Wicked Cassie, Ring III U-CDX
BoldogKennel

Re: LOSING MY MIND OVER WORMING!

Postby WNK » April 30th, 2012, 1:53 pm

This is what I found... 1 ml (which contains 100 mg active ingredient) per 5 lbs of bodyweight. For example, a 25 lb dog would receive 5 ml per day for a 3 day period (total 3-day treatment consists of 15 ml). :D good luck!
Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.-Roger Caras Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ

WNK

Postby China » May 2nd, 2012, 5:01 pm

are you using the paste? did you see the post i put up about the safegaurd for goats? That's what i've always used for my dogs. I know it came off the dreaded shepherd forum, but the dosage it correct. The thing about the the horse paste is that the medicine is not thoroughly mixed too throughout the paste and is meant to be given all at once. So be sure you're squeezing all of it out and mixing it up..don't know if you know that or are doing that. That's why I never used it on any animals other than what it is meant for (large animals).
China

Postby BoldogKennel » May 2nd, 2012, 6:52 pm

Here is what is interesting after the fact! I think I gave waaaaay too much to tuffy, butch, freakie and thing. They never missed a b eat, all are fine. I ran out and just squirt a tiny bit (about 1 inch) of it on Guppie's food. The next morning she expelled tape worms like there was no tomorrow! So, that leads me to believe that my dosing is way off. Argh.

I've heard both sides of the story about the "mixed or not mixed" within the tube. Don't feel like I have proof one way or the other. Since it is dosed for horses from small babies (part of a tube) to big horses, the whole tube, I tend to think that perhaps it IS well mixed or else they wouldn't advise giving small portions of it to small horses?

Either way, i think i can reduce what i am giving. more to follow. Anyone else out there worm with safe guard?
Ch Bandog Dread SchH III IPO III TD CD U-CDX WDS STDd/s WH
Boldog Dirk SchH III FR Brevet
Bandog Brittania SchH I WDS U-CD
Boldog Grip SchH I WDS
Boldog Grim SchH II
Boldog Old Yeller SchH I IPO I
Boldog Hellboy FH CD TD
Wicked Cassie, Ring III U-CDX
BoldogKennel

Postby China » May 4th, 2012, 12:11 am

I just use the safegaurd for goats because you get a more accurate dose that way. I used it for the chickens and the dogs..dogs just get it for 3 consecutive days is all.
China

Return to General health issues