Rules and Regulations

New Reprints of Old PIT BULL MAGAZINES from 1920s to 1970s

An archive of historical information for researching breed history, breed characteristics, uses, etc.
Historical references to all uses of the breed are allowed.

New Reprints of Old PIT BULL MAGAZINES from 1920s to 1970s

Postby turtle » November 23rd, 2012, 12:58 am

For historical research and a good look at the old days of the Pit Bull, here are some excellent new reprints of many of the rare old magazines.

From the 1920s are PIT NEWS and PIT AND PAL, which I have never ever seen in the original copies.

Then the classic old PIT DOGS Magazine and YOUR FRIEND AND MINE magazine done by Pete Sparks from the 1950s to the 1970s. There are also some of the PIT DOG REPORT magazines put out by Don Mayfield in the 1970s.

These reprints are done as Year Books, they are scanned from the original issues and professionally printed, so they are very high quality with sharp photos, not like a cheap photo copy.

These books contain a whole year of magazine issues and are bound in soft covers or hard covers --

http://www.apbtbooks.com/magazines.html

Ordering info is on the web site.

I have some of the original 1950s and 1960s Your Friend & Mine issues and compared them to these new reprints and the printing quality is the same, the photos are nice and clear. I was surprised to see so many dogs with cropped ears back then, and old Pete Sparks put together a good magazine back then.

A great look at the old days and many of the famous dogs and dogmen of that time. Full of historical photos and info about the old bulldogs and the men behind them.

These are great books to have at a reasonable price. That is less than the cost of one of the original magazine issues if you can find one, and the printing quality is excellent.

I bought several and I am very happy with them. Lots of good reading!
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring, it was peace." - Milan Kundera
turtle

Re: New Reprints of Old PIT BULL MAGAZINES from 1920s to 197

Postby turtle » November 23rd, 2012, 1:04 am

And to make this even more tempting, the publisher Lulu is offering a special Black Friday coupon for 30% off which is a great discount.

This coupon is good from Friday Nov 23 to Tuesday Nov 27th.

The coupon code is DELIRITAS and you just put it in on the order form and it gives you a 30% discount!

This coupon is only good for ONE order so put everything together if you want several things from Lulu.

I will order some of these reprints as I don't have them all, so I am happy about saving 30% on my order.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring, it was peace." - Milan Kundera
turtle

Postby Buru » November 23rd, 2012, 8:47 am

I really want to do some research on these old magazines, so I think I'll start with the 1920s ones. But should I pick Pit News or Pit and Pal? Can only afford one of them at the moment! :?
Buru

Postby turtle » November 23rd, 2012, 1:13 pm

Buru wrote:I really want to do some research on these old magazines, so I think I'll start with the 1920s ones. But should I pick Pit News or Pit and Pal? Can only afford one of them at the moment! :?

I would go with PIT AND PAL because it is 3 years of that magazine and 220 pages for $55 (less the discount), the other PIT NEWS is 2 years and 114 pages for $40 (less the discount).

The ones I really liked were the old YOUR FRIEND AND MINE from the mid 1950s by Pete Sparks. Those has many of the famous old dogmen that were active in that time before all the laws went into effect. Those give a look into that world that you don't find elsewhere. Pete Sparks was quite a unique character and really did a good job with his magazine.

Maybe if you could get the PIT AND PAL and one of the late 1950s YOUR FRIEND AND MINE? That would give you a look at both time periods.
turtle

Postby Buru » November 23rd, 2012, 5:22 pm

That sounds like a good idea. I'll do so! Thanks, Turtle! And thank you for telling about the coupon :)
Buru

Postby turtle » November 23rd, 2012, 5:52 pm

Yes, that is a good idea as both books give an overlook of 2 different times periods. And those Lulu coupons really help! You can sign up with them and they will send you emails with whatever special they have. Most of their coupons are a pretty time period.

Now this is a bit confusing! I had posted about the 30% off coupon when I got an email from Lulu on Wed, but I just got this email from them today --

"Look for Big Cyber Savings starting this weekend on Lulu! Between Friday (Nov 23) and Tuesday (Nov 27) Lulu will be offering a variety of great discounts . Get 30% off anything on the site with coupon code REDEMPTIO or Save 35% on any order over $750 with coupon code DELIRITAS "

So... if the coupon I first posted about does not give 30% off, try the other one as above!
turtle

Return to Research Info: Historical and Current Articles, Pictures, Etc.,